What we refer to here as “highly sensitive persons” are people who carry the genetic trait of sensory-processing sensitivity, as defined by Dr. Elaine Aron. We also call this “the trait of high sensitivity”. Research has found this in around 20% of both men and women.
According to Dr. Aron, the most basic aspect of this trait is depth of processing – processing thoughts and observations deeply. Which affects one’s entire experience of being in the world.
It is God’s wise plan that we humans are legitimately different from each other. God created us to express differences in how we experience the world, how we function best in our daily lives, even in how we might live out our faith and have relationship with Him – Father God, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
This is all part of the glory of God that He manifests in His creation. It reveals His mighty wisdom.
Wise and loving earthly parents give us glimpses into how God treasures interacting with each of His children according to their created design. And God truly loves relating with His highly sensitive children in ways that are gentle and finely-tuned. In ways of the heart and emotion. It can be profoundly healing and freeing for us to come to learn this for ourselves.
Meeting the Special Needs of Highly Sensitive Persons
The Kingdom of God holds living, powerful ways to meet the special needs of God’s highly sensitive children.
- We can overcome a sense of defectiveness and shame through receiving our Creator valuing and loving us.
- We can find emotional security as we inherit Jesus’ own secure love relationship with Father God.
- We can come to willingly labor from our hearts to forgive and not judge our fellow humans by choosing to be aware of the kind grace, mercy, and forgiveness of God for our own selves.
- We can learn about our true selves with the Holy Spirit leading us into who God created us to be in Christ.
- Through choosing God’s mutually dignifying version of humility, we can come to value those who do not carry our trait, without needing to make sense of them.
- Under the coaching of the Holy Spirit, we can develop a personally sane way of being on the planet, as much as is possible in our circumstances.
- And as the Holy Spirit leads and bears fruit in and through us, we can become abundantly fruitful in harmony with our heart and sensitivity, proving to us Jesus’ promise that “my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11;30).
Father God, may the abundance of life in Jesus Christ be made accessible to those of us who are designed to live in highly sensitive ways!
Let us become rooted and grounded in Your warm, secure, agape-style love for us, just like Jesus was!
May we be progressively changed into one-of-a-kind expressions of the image and nature of Jesus Christ through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit in us!
Father God, let this all be made so here on earth as it is in heaven! The Name of Jesus!